Town and Gown Association of Ontario
Take our membership survey!
The Town and Gown Association of Ontario is the trusted, coordinated voice for post-secondary students, post-secondary institutions, municipalities, first responders, residents, and property managers in Ontario communities that host post-secondary institutions. We share information, facilitate connections, and mediate relationships among our diverse group of stakeholders to promote vibrant cohesive communities for everyone.
"Town & Gown" is a term which conveys the relationships between post-secondary institutions - universities and colleges - and the communities that host them. The Town and Gown Association of Ontario (TGAO) evolved out of Town and Gown symposia held in Waterloo, Hamilton and Guelph, Ontario during 2004 and 2005. The continued growth of post-secondary institutions and the subsequent effects on near campus neighbourhoods was the catalyst for these symposia.
At that time, attendees recognized that there were many issues of common interest in town and gown municipalities across the Province that could best be served by partnering efforts and sharing information. Upon direction from the participants at the Hamilton and Guelph symposia, a volunteer working group of interested stakeholders was formed to create the association. The Association became incorporated in February, 2006, and held its first Annual General Meeting on May 12 at the 2006 symposium in Brantford, Ontario.
Board of Directors
The Town and Gown Association of Ontario is governed by representatives from many of Town and Gown's member organizations. The current members of the Board include:
- Alexander Wray, President | Graduate Student at Western University (London)
- Bradley Clarke, Vice President | Director of Student Life and Community Experience, Brock University (Niagara Region)
- Tanja Curic, Secretary | Policy Planner at City of Waterloo (Waterloo)
- Ken Moyle, Treasurer | Owner of Barclay West Properties (Hamilton)
- Kathryn Hofer, Past President | Manager of Off-Campus Living & Student Experience, University of Guelph (Guelph)
- Alia Abbas, Board Member | Local Economic Development Professional (Brampton)
- Richard Longtin, Board Member | Director of Government Relations at Lakehead University (Thunder Bay)
- Rob Marsh, Board Member | General Manager of Housing Services at Fleming College (Peterborough)
- Clare Riepma, Board Member | Councillor of Ward 1 in the City of Barrie (Barrie)
- Josephine Saunders, Board Member | Assistant Director of Housing Services at University of Ottawa (Ottawa)
Interested in joining the Board? We are looking for new members with legal, financial, property development, or neighbourhood organizing experience. Reach out to email@example.com to chat further!